OPEN POSITION: TIBA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Tiba Foundation is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit, founded in 2004. We believe that access to quality health care is a basic human right. Our mission is to bring effective community health care to more than 250,000 people in the critically-underserved Ugenya District, Nyanza Province, Kenya. We provide support in three main ways: funding, medical expertise and training, and technical advice when requested. Tiba works in partnership with Matibabu Foundation, our partner organization on the ground in Kenya, to ensure the effectiveness of our efforts and the sustainability of our shared impact. Tiba’s annual operating budget is approximately $900,000.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and directly supervises a part-time Operations Manager, as well as several part-time contractors.
Leadership and Management:
- Work, in close partnership, with the Senior Management Team at Matibabu Foundation, to achieve our joint goals
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize Tiba’s volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for all operations
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Tiba’s high-performing staff and contractors
Fundraising and Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities and efforts to support existing program operations and expansion of programs, as well as to diversify existing funding streams
- Lead the fundraising strategy for and planning and implementation of the Annual Tiba Gala (a 250-person event at the St. Regis, San Francisco, that raises $300,000)
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger Tiba brand
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new fundraising opportunities, with individuals, foundations, and corporations
Program Planning And Management:
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the programs and projects which Tiba funds; as well as the Tiba Medical Volunteer Program
- Engage with staff, board, industry colleagues and partners as appropriate to identify and develop new program and/or program partnership opportunities that further the organization’s mission
- Ensure that appropriate organizational and program impact assessment systems are in place and providing the data necessary for effective organizational learning, as well as for internal and external assessments and reports
Financial and operational planning and management:
- Ensure the continuous development of the organization’s staff and infrastructure
- Work with Accountant and Board Treasurer to prepare a comprehensive annual budget, administer funds, and monitor cash flow
- Provide the Board with quarterly and annual financial and operational reports
- With accountant, ensure that sound accounting procedures are followed and that the organization complies with all taxation, non-profit status, state and federal reporting, and other applicable statutory or regulatory requirements
The Executive Director will be thoroughly committed to Tiba’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
Required qualifications include:
- At least 5-10 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Strong track record of fund development, setting and implementing fundraising strategy, and growing an organization’s overall budget
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Willingness to travel to Kenya, once annually
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Innate ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, sense of humor, diplomacy, and patience'
- Self-directed and flexible working-style
Preferred qualifications include:
- Professional and/or volunteer experience in international development
- Advanced degree, MBA preferred
COMPENSATION AND TERMS
Tiba offers extremely competitive compensation, commensurate with experience, and generous PTO in addition to all federal holidays. The Executive Director position is 32 hours/week with the flexibility to work from the Tiba office (currently located at WeWork Civic Center) or from home. Tiba does not offer health or dental benefits at this time.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as one document to Katie Skoog, Katie.Skoog@TibaFoundation.org, with Tiba Executive Director in the subject line.